Humans can’t see ultraviolet light, but everybody is aware of its harmful impact on the eyes. In the early 1990s, the use of sunglasses was not widespread the way it is today. A wide-brimmed hat was used to protect the face and eye from the sunrays. Modern people have become more conscious about the dreadful consequences of UV radiation, leading to cataracts, snow blindness, photokeratitis, and cancer.
That’s why people prefer buying quality sunglasses to protect their eyes. Many brands like Prada sunglasses have been considered as most effective against sun rays and stylish as well.
If you do not like to carry a sunglass while going outside in the daytime, you may need to know more about the ill effects of UV radiation. It can reach your eyes in multiple ways- by bouncing off water, snow, clouds, and sometimes through the window of your car. However, all sunrays do not affect the eyes in the same way.
According to the World Health Organisation or WHO, 95% of all UV radiation manages to reach the Earth’s surface. These rays are called UVA rays; the rest 5% ray is called UVB radiation. The outer part of the human eye protects the retina from UV radiation while the eye’s cornea absorbs the UVB. UVA flows through the cornea and gets filtered by the lens. Still, 1% UV rays can reach the retina.
UVB is mainly responsible for eye damages in most cases. UVA can also create issues such as cataracts. So, both UVA and UVB can be threatening for the eyes. UV rays reach peak levels from 11 am to 4 pm; these hours are called UV hours. Staying away from sunlight during this hour is not possible, and most people need to go to the office and college; children need to go to school. Hence, wearing sunglasses is the best solution.
When you are looking for a suitable sunglass, consider these four facts:
Look at the labels
When buying a sunglass, do not forget to look at the label. The label of a high-quality sunglass will state that the lens can prevent 99% to 100% UV radiation. You should ensure that the product you are buying can prevent both UVA and UVB rays.
Find the right fit
If the sunglass is not fitted properly, it won’t be able to provide you with enough protection. Wearing such sunglasses would make you feel uncomfortable. Moreover, your glasses should not be too small or too large. Unsuitable glasses allow the light to reach the eyes from the sides.
Consider the lens quality
Polarised lenses can deflect the glare, but these lenses cannot protect your eyes from UV radiation. Lenses made of authentic glasses can provide only partial protection. Then what should be your best bet? Polycarbonate plastic lenses are ideal for UV protection. These lenses are more rigid and sturdier. You can also consider photochromic lenses as they can prevent glare and UV radiation. They maintain visual sharpness as well.
Look at the functionality
If you wear eyeglasses that have power, you need to try prescription sunglasses. These are powered sunglasses made considering the eyes’ power mentioned in your latest prescription.
Earlier, sunglasses were considered only as style accessories. These days, it is an integral part of everyday life. Many types of sunglasses are available in the market, but you should risk your eye health by buying low-quality sunglasses. It is always better to buy from reputed brands, such as Prada sunglasses. Always remember that the eyes are the most important asset of a human being. Hence, you cannot overlook eye health. Always wear high-quality and suitable sunglasses to prevent UV radiation.